Wednesday, August 04, 2004

I was reading a story on CNN yesterday about a 17 year old young man who lured his 14 year old friend into a park and proceeded to kill him with a hammer. (I think I got the ages right I was looking for the story again but cannot find it) if memory serves me correct it happened in a London park. Now his parents are saying that he was acting out the game Manhunt in real life. Because in Manhunt you get style points for killing people and the more gruesome the better the score. Rock star games made man hunt and they are the ones who made the Grand theft auto series as well, which caught a lot of flak as well.

If you are 17 years old is it really time to blame a video game for you actions? Yes I remember being 17 and I know you would not be the pinnacle of maturity but if you don’t know right from wrong there is something seriously lacking in your education. Besides that strategy is getting a bit weak when ever somebody does something wrong they tend to point the finger else where, the dog ate my home work, rap music made me do it, it was in a movie, now video games made me do it, oh yeah lest not forget the old favorite Satan commanded me to do it.

I know they are some mentally deranged people out there and yeah they probably hear voices in their head but stop with the blame game. I think the real reason they go to the extreme of blaming music or games is to give politicians credence to the censorship laws. I have played video games since the days of the commodore vic 20 and I never had any adverse effects except missing some sleep from late night gaming. Anyway got too go and head to work talk to you all later have a good one everyone.

No comments: